Acupuncture is awesome for helping people kick their addictions. Smoking is a habit that was once very common place and is now barely socially acceptable. But, people still smoke and mainly because they can’t help it. More than 3 million Americans try to quit smoking annually. Unfortunately, only half of them are successful. With the help of acupuncture, more people are successful.
You don’t have to be an expert to know that quitting smoking is one of the most important things you can do for your general health. The number of diseases and negative health consequences are well documented. Everyone knows they should quit, that’s easy. Actually, quitting is rather hard. Especially with the growing stigma around smoking. People may feel they have nowhere to turn for help. Acupuncture has helped millions of people kicked the smoking habit.
How can Acupuncture Help
Like with any addition the withdrawal symptoms are the hardest thing to cope with. When on the journey to becoming smoke free, people also need help with things like stress, anxiety, and depression associated with quitting. Then there are those pesky physical symptoms of withdrawal which thankfully only last for a few weeks. This is where acupuncture is second to none. Fortunately, acupuncture treatment is quite successful at calming the mind, reducing anxiety, alleviating jitters, and relaxing the nervous symptom. Specific acu-points in the ear, known as the NADA protocol help to accomplish this. There is even a stop smoking point Tian Mei.
Additional acu-points may be included to help suppress your appetite, reduce irritability, stimulate repair and healing of the damaged organs, and of course reduce nicotine cravings. Besides just managing the stressful time while you are quitting, Acupuncture can begin to work on the number of health complications the body is left to deal with. In other words, the treatments help to restore the body to balance and optimal health. If your goal is to becomes smoke-free, acupuncture can provide you with the support you need.
here are a few tips to guide you through your acupuncture care:
– Get rid of all ashtrays, lighters, matches, and other paraphernalia.
– Drink plenty of filtered water! You need it to help flush the gunk out.
– Eat balanced, healthy meals with a variety of vegetables and fruits.
– Take a good multivitamin to help with deficiencies left by smoking.
– Stop and smell the roses or some other favorite scent. Essential oils have many health benefits.
– Avoid sugar which can increase sugar cravings and unwanted weight gain.
– Be in control of cravings. They will actually fade within a few minutes when cravings arise distract yourself like with signing, cleaning, or other activity. Before you know it the cravings will have passed.
– Take daily baths with Epsom salts (the magnesium in Epsom salts is great for recovery) or showers and scrub your skin with a dry brush or loofah. This helps to facilitate the cleansing process and help blood circulation.
– Avoid spending time with other smokers so that you are less tempted to smoke. Also avoid the same patterns that begin or ended with a cigarette break. For example: If you read the evening paper and smoke on the porch try doing a cross word puzzle on the couch and get your news another way.
– Take a walk outside and breathe deeply upon exhaling gently place your teeth together exhaling slowly with the sound of “sssssss” or humming. This helps to stimulates the lungs and the vagus nerve.
– There are Chinese herbal formulas to help with withdrawals’ symptoms both physical and mental.
-Get regular exercise. Not only does it help to clear out the lungs it also helps to alleviate stress and gives your elimination organs a boost.